24x7 support hotline, flexible bookings, free cancellation, and more with our Pandemic Shield. Read more

Exchange Works

Private Room/ Studio Flat

Alma Street, S1 4RE, United Kingdom Distance From University

Exclusive Offers

  • OFFER 1£100 Amazon Vouchers *UNILODGERS Exclusive*T&C apply!
  • OFFER 2£50 Amazon Voucher on Refer a Friend *UNILODGERS Exclusive*T&C apply!

About this property

Exchange Works is a contemporary student accommodation located on Arundel Street right in the heart of Sheffield. You will be well placed from the University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam University campuses. Choose from a range of En-suite rooms in Shared accommodation and a self-contained Studio here at Unite student accommodation. There are brilliant amenities to enjoy here such as Vending Machine, Social Spaces, Study Room, Bike Storage and plenty more. Looks like everyone will have a gala time in Exchange Works Sheffield. 

All rooms at Exchange Works accommodation are well furnished and you will find them to be adequately designed to take care of all your needs. The shared flats have en-suite rooms with a shared kitchen and a common lounge. Your Unite student accommodation Sheffield is well furnished with a comfortable bed, study space equipped with Wi-Fi, ample storage space for all your belongings and a private bathroom as well. The shared lounge in the apartment is perfect to enjoy time with your friends after a long day at university. Enjoy your favourite shows or simply catch up on each other’s day. The kitchen is fully fitted so you will be able to prepare your meals conveniently. For postgraduate students who are looking for a more independent setup will find the Studios perfect. Each Exchange Works student accommodation is completely self-contained. You will have your own comfortable bed, study space, wardrobe and storage for all your belongings, a personal bathroom and a fully fitted kitchen all your own. These flats are perfect if you are looking to stay away from distraction. The property has great Social Spaces where you can meet other residents at the property and socialise. If you are bored studying in your room then you can always bring your books and laptop down to the Study Room and study with the rest of the students. If you are working on an assignment with your group and need a bigger space to work, the Study Room is just the place you need. Intend on bringing your bike with you? There is a Bike Storage at the property, park your bikes here securely until the next time that you need to use it. The Vending Machine at Unite Exchange works comes in handy when you find yourself craving food during long study sessions.

International students in Sheffield must visit the Paternoster lift at the Arts Tower. The Arts Tower is the tallest university building in the UK and has one of the largest remaining paternoster lifts that you have to simply experience once. What you ask is so interesting about these lifts? They have no doors and they are continuously moving, so you in the literal sense would have to hop on and off the same.

If you are looking to foster your no-cook mood on a Friday then why not head over to Pizza Express that is only minutes away from the property. Savour the cheesy margheritas with your friends. Gossips Nightclub is a student favourite and one that you and your friends will find just perfect on a weekend night. Groove to the lively music and enjoy some great cocktails, no better way to ring in the weekend. 


Common Room
Vending Machine


Secure Door Entry

Price also includes

Water Bill
Gas Bill

Book Your Room in Exchange Works

Private Room(4 types to choose from)

Classic En-Suite Room

1 single bed

Ensuite Bathroom

Classic En-suite room is a perfect place to share among 1-7 students. The en-suite holds good storage and living space which is well equipped with all modern amenities required for an easy and comfortable living. The room includes private lockable bedroom having three-quarter sized bed, underbed storage, study desk-chair and wardrobe, fully fitted shared kitchen and a private bathroom. 

34 weeks

Move in
23 Oct 2020

Move out
19 Jun 2021



£100 Amazon Vouchers *UNILODGERS Exclusive*T&C apply!
£50 Amazon Voucher on Refer a Friend *UNILODGERS Exclusive*T&C apply!

45 weeks

Move in
24 Oct 2020

Move out
4 Sep 2021



£100 Amazon Vouchers *UNILODGERS Exclusive*T&C apply!
£50 Amazon Voucher on Refer a Friend *UNILODGERS Exclusive*T&C apply!

Studio Flat(1 types to choose from)

Distance from University
Exchange Works
Payment Info

Advance payment of £250 required to secure the room. Advance rent will be exempt from anyone booking in Scotland, paying in full, rebooking or booking after the due date of the first instalment.

Rent Payments:
UK students
UK students can pay in 1, 4 or 8 instalments 
Pay in Full
Pay in 4 instalments
Pay in 8 instalments, with a one-time admin fee of £99 

International students
International students can pay in 1 or 2 
Pay in Full
Pay in 2 instalments (First in August and next in January).

Mode of Payment:

Pay using a debit/credit card online, over the phone or at the reception
Pay via direct debit or bank transfer
Cheques or Cash payments are not accepted

Booking Info

Addition to the policy -

·  No Visa No Pay: if a student’s visa application is rejected or if the UK university application is rejected, the student needs to send the rejection letter to Unite, within 7 days of receiving it, and before the tenancy start date. The letter must include a date and the student’s name. On production of this the student will be released from their tenancy. The T&Cs for these policies can be found on Unite Students website.

· Visa processing delay: If a student cannot get a visa on time to come to the UK and wishes to cancel their booking with Unite, but is unable to provide a proof that the visa cannot be issued: the student must contact Unite Students, or the agency who helped process the booking. Unite Students will support the students on a case by case basis.

· University / School intake delayed: if the start date of a course has been postponed to a later date, the student can provide evidence showing the new start date, then Unite will delay the tenancy start date to suit the new start date of the course. The student will only be liable for the rent from this new start date.

· Travel Ban: if there is a travel ban either in the student’s country of origin, or in the UK, preventing students from traveling as planned: students affected by the ban can contact Unite Students or the agency who helped with the booking. Unite Students will delay the tenancy start date until the end of the travel ban. The student will only be liable for the rent from this new start date.

· Early leave request: We are also aware that some students may want to leave the UK and return to China / to their home country over the coming weeks.
If a student decides to leave early then just to confirm that our early leave policy will be enforced.
That means they will be liable to pay the remainder of their tenancy unless they can find someone to take it over for the remainder of the term.

Unless you have already collected the keys to the accommodation, you may cancel your booking by writing or sending an e-mail to us at [email protected], at any time during the 7 days after we send you an e-mail confirming your booking is complete (the “7 Day Cooling-Off Period”). If you do that, we will make no charge and will return any deposit or any payment of advance rent to you.
Provided the 7 Day Cooling-Off-Period has expired, you will have to pay all amounts due under your Tenancy Agreement unless a replacement Tenant is found for your Room or you enter into a new Tenancy. If a replacement Tenant is found for your Room before your start date, we will release you from your Tenancy Agreement on the date seven days after the new Tenant’s Tenancy Agreement is signed. If a replacement Tenant is found for your Room after your start date, we will release you from your Tenancy Agreement from the start date of the replacement Tenant's new Tenancy Agreement. If you have occupied the Room prior to this, you will be charged £50.00 to cover our costs of preparing the Room for the replacement Tenant.
No Place No Pay – applicable to 1st year students only. If you are a prospective first year undergraduate student and your offer of a place at your preferred University/Higher Education Institution is withdrawn by the University/Higher Education Institution as a result of you not achieving their required entry grades, you may be eligible to be released from this agreement. You may also be eligible to be released from this agreement if you are a prospective first year undergraduate student and you choose to go to a different University because you have exceeded your expected grades. To apply to be released from this agreement in the circumstances referred to above, you will need to supply us with a copy of:
a written rejection letter from your chosen university/college or UCAS or a screen shot of your UCAS status which confirms that the required results were not achieved; or
a copy of the proof of acceptance of your new university by UCAS adjustment.
These document(s) must be received by us within 7 calendar days from the date your results are published.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Is early move-in allowed?

The standard tenancies have fixed dates and cannot be changed. However, to move in earlier it may be possible to book an additional short stay tenancy, this will involve signing another set of paperwork and you will be charged for any additional nights.

Q. What documents are needed at the time of move in?

Please bring an official form of ID with you e.g. passport or provisional/driving licence. If you have not already returned the original signed tenancy agreement you should also bring these with you.

Q. What are the reception hours of the property?

These hours can vary from property to property and as business dictates. Most properties will advertise their opening hours at their reception.

Q. Is move allowed before payment?

It’s really important that your rent is paid on time. The first instalment before moving in covers the first part of the tenancy.

Q. Can the Family/Friends stay for a few nights after dropping me off?

It is best to speak with the staff at the property to find out if this is ok. If it is only for an evening or two, that is usually fine.

Q. How are the keys provided?

Keys can be collected from reception at check-in. Just come straight to the main reception with photo ID and take the keys.

Q. Can the given time slot for the property be missed?

That’s fine, arrive at any time and inform others.

Q. Are post delivery allowed to site without being present there yet?

Just inform the staff at the property of so they can look after the parcels.

Q. How to get directions to the property?

The easiest way to get directions would be to search the postcode on Google maps and find the directions on there.

Q. How to get to the train station /airport to the property?

There may be many different transportation options like cab pre-book to the property before your arrival.

Q. Is move in allowed before paper sanction?

No, signed tenancy agreement and payment information are needed before move in.

Q. Are Friends/ Family allowed to stay overnight?

Yes, just let the on-site team know and consider the other flatmates and treat them with courtesy. Take the responsibility of any guest staying and be liable if any problems are caused.

Q. How to log a maintenance request? 

Raise a Maintenance Request Form via My Account, or alternatively, check out the MyUnite app from the mobile device. Once logged, the form goes directly to our maintenance team.

Q. Is smoking allowed in the room?

All the properties are non-smoking throughout so please speak to the property team to ask where to smoke. There are usually outside areas to smoke with ashtrays provided.

Q. How to make a complaint against music?

Speak to a member of staff at reception and they will ask a member of our Service and Safety Team to come for help.

Q. Who is responsible for cleaning the communal area? 

All flatmates are responsible for keeping the communal areas clean and tidy. A template is provided for cleaning all flatmates get organised. If you cannot reason with your flatmates after speaking to them then please report it to a member of staff at reception and we will try to help.

Q. My room is not like the website - I want to move. Is it allowed?

All our show flats and the images on our website are representative of a particular room type unless labelled otherwise – however, they are not identical. Your room will have all the same features and fittings, just in a slightly different setup. If you are unhappy with your room, please speak to the reception team as there is often something we can do. Where there are other rooms available we will offer these as an alternative. To move room you will need to complete new tenancy paperwork, and there may be a small charge to cover the cost of making your original room ready for a new tenant.

Q. An emergency has happened back home and I need to cancel. Can I do this? 

In emergencies, each cancellation request is looked at on a case-by-case basis and an early release is at the discretion of the manager.

Q. I am not getting on with my flatmates, how do I complain?

Where possible our city teams will try to help you resolve your issues – when a group of new people live together for the first time disputes can happen, so a bit of time can help to sort the problems out. If the problems are more serious then we will always try to move you to another flat if there is a room available. We take any form of anti-social behaviours, such as drugs or bullying, very seriously and investigate any complaints.

Q. I am locked out of my room key doesn't work. Who do I call to get back in?

We have dedicated on-site Service and Safety teams in all our cities – which means that there will always be someone around who can help you with things like new keys. Part of their job is doing patrols of the site and attending to incidents, so don’t worry if there is nobody at reception. You can also install the MyUnite app, which will connect you directly to the Emergency Control Centre if you are locked out.

Q. Some belongings of mine have been stolen, what should I do?

If something is stolen from inside your flat, or there has been a break-in, please contact the police and then inform the reception team. You will get a crime reference number from the police which may help you to recover the cost of the items, depending on your insurance coverage. The police will usually contact us to obtain the CCTV footage from our Security and Safety Teams to assist them in any criminal matter.

Q. Can I get a mini fridge for my room?

In most properties, you can bring small appliances for use in your room, but you will be solely responsible for any risk associated with them.

Q. What is my internet speed? How do I upgrade?

In most of our properties, your wireless connection speed will be 25Mb. There is the option of upgrading online to 32Mb. You can even choose to do this for a month at a time.

Q. What happens if I fail my exams during my stay? Do I still have to leave?

If you leave university during your stay with us you will still be liable for the rent as per the tenancy agreement. Please check the cancellation procedure accordingly.

Q. Is on-site parking facility available?

Many of our properties have a car park for students. There is a weekly cost for booking a car parking space, but you can choose to pay this in instalments.

Q. I have no hot water. What should I do?

You just need to raise a Maintenance Request Form via the My Account section. Once logged, the form will go directly to our maintenance team. Issues are rated on severity, so if it is a busy time please bear with us as it may take slightly longer for us to get to you than usual.

Q. My light bulb is broken, where can I buy a new one?

For health and safety reasons we ask that you do not try to replace light bulbs yourself. You just need to raise a Maintenance Request Form via the My Account section. Once logged, the form will go directly to our maintenance team. Issues are rated on severity, so if it is a busy time please bear with us as it may take slightly longer for us to get to you than usual.

Q. Can you call my university and tell them I am going to be late?

We don’t offer this sort of service I’m afraid. We are only responsible for your accommodation.

Q. I want to leave the accommodation, what do I do?

Please contact your team at the reception desk and they will guide you.

Q. Why are my windows restricted?

Your window may have a restricting device that limits how far it opens. It’s there for your safety so it’s important that you don’t disconnect or damage it, or let anyone else do so. If the window fittings do become damaged, you need to tell a member of the property team straight away. We check all the windows and their fittings regularly, to make sure they’re all safe and working properly. Depending on the floor you live on, it may be possible to derestrict your window upon request and with approval from the management of your property. Please speak to your reception team.

Q. Is there air conditioning?

Some of our properties have comfort cooling systems and some do not.

Q. What are the reception hours of the property?

Reception hours vary from property to property; most properties will advertise their opening hours at reception.

Q. Who's the manager?

Each city has dedicated managers for all our properties; you should be able to find out your manager's name by speaking to the staff at reception. The manager may not always be in your building as they may manage several properties.

Q. How to pay the rent?

You can pay by credit/debit card or direct debit. You can pay by logging in and clicking on Make A Payment.

Q. Is pre-booking the room allowed?

Absolutely! If you are interested in staying with Unite Students again, visit the My Account section and follow the links for rebooking.

We usually start selling our rooms for the following year a couple of months after you move in and we recommend you to act quickly for the best availability and prices. In most cases, you won’t even need to pay another deposit, so it’s a really simple process.

Q. What does the insurance cover?

You can find out what your insurance includes by viewing the insurance certificate on our website. Some items are not included in our standard package - this includes accidental damage to items in your rooms and loss or damage to personal items when you are outside your Unite Students property. Laptops and tablets, mobile phones and bicycles are not covered in the standard policy, however you can upgrade your policy so that your laptop, phone, tablet and other gadgets are covered, wherever you and your gadgets are, and this also includes a laptop and mobile phone replacement within 24 hours (one working day) of your claim being approved. You can add this upgrade for a small cost at any time during your stay.

Q. I don't get on with my flatmates- What should I do?

Where possible our city teams will try to help you resolve your issues – when a group of new people live together for the first time disputes can happen, so a bit of time can help to sort the problems out. If the problems are more serious then we will always try to move you to another flat if there is a room available. We take any form of anti-social behaviours, such as drugs or bullying, very seriously and investigate any complaints.

Q. Why don't you tell me about the building site next door to the property?

As our properties are situated in prime city centre locations, we sometimes have developments happening nearby. We will advise you about this when you book if we can, however, we cannot be held responsible for other companies' building works and are not always kept informed of when works will be taking place.

Q. Where do I leave my keys?

You will be supplied with a check out envelope – please complete the front of the envelope with your name, room number and future address and leave it at the reception. If the address where your deposit cheque needs to be sent has changed, then please also let us know on this envelope. If you need another envelope, please see your reception team.

Q. What happens if I check out and nobody is at the reception?

If the reception is not open, look for a fast check out key drop box where you can leave your check out an envelope.

Q. Can I leave my belongings in my room?

Not unless you have booked to continue staying with us in your room and have a valid tenancy. Anything that is left once you have checked out will be removed as we have to get the room ready for the next tenant. A charge may apply if we have to remove any leftover belongings, so please remember to clear everything out when you leave.

Q. My flatmates don't help to clean the kitchen. What do I do?

We recommend you first discuss the cleaning with your flatmates and work out an agreed time for cleaning before you all check out so that the work is divided fairly between you. If the flat hasn’t been cleaned to a certain standard when we complete the check-out inspection then we will make appropriate charges which will apply to everyone in the flat.

Q. My flatmate has left food in the freezer. What do I do?

We recommend you first discuss the cleaning with your flatmates and work out an agreed time for cleaning before you all check out so that the work is divided fairly between you. This includes emptying cupboards and the fridge/freezer. Anything that is left in the freezer once the whole flat has checked out will be removed and a charge may apply.

Q. My flatmate has broken microwave, will we be charged for it?

We do charge for damages, however, if the person responsible for causing the damage is willing to take full responsibility then we will only charge that person. If no one accepts the responsibility for damages in a communal area then the charge will be split between everyone in the flat. If this happens, you can discuss this further with a member of our reception team.

Q. Can I leave things in my room if I've rebooked for the next year?

If you have a valid tenancy covering the time period, then yes you can. We just ask you to label any items in shared areas to confirm that they belong to you and not to someone else who has already checked out. This will help our cleaners.

If your booking finishes in June or July and your next tenancy starts in September, you will need to arrange a Summer Short Stay tenancy to bridge the gap. 

If you do not have a valid tenancy for the summer months, you will need to move everything out of your room and shared areas as someone else could be occupying the flat immediately after you leave.

Q. What the latest time I can check out?

This varies depending on your property so check with a team member at reception well in advance of your check-out date. It is likely that the latest time will be 12:00 pm on the last day of your tenancy.

Q. Can I stay an extra day?

This depends on your room and property, so please speak to the reception team regarding extending your stay.

Q. When will I get my deposit back?

If you are staying in England, you will get your deposit back in the form of a cheque, sent to your home address, within 14 days after your tenancy end date.

If you are staying in Scotland, Mydeposits Scotland will have emailed you a unique Release Code at the start of your stay. You need this at the end of your tenancy to authorise the return of your deposit.

Unite Students contacts Mydeposits Scotland at the end of your tenancy to confirm that you have checked out of your accommodation and advise on the deposit amount due to be refunded to you. This will be the full deposit minus any charges applied after your room has been inspected, or if your tenancy account has any outstanding balance due.

Mydeposits Scotland will email to tell you that we have started the release process. You have 30 working days from the date of this email to respond to the deposit release request. You will need to enter your Release Code to access any refund. If you do not respond within this timeframe, Mydeposits Scotland will return the deposit amount we have advised as due following your check out.

Q. Where can I park to load up the car?

During our check in and check out periods, where available, we allow access to our car parks for short periods of time so you can load up/unload the car. If there is not a car park at the property then you may be able to park just outside for a while. In most cases, there are also public car parks nearby. Please speak to your reception team for advice specific to your property.

Q. I forgot to put on the inventory that there was some damage when I moved in. Will I be charged?

Possibly yes, this is to be fair and consistent with our approach. We encourage you to complete the inventory thoroughly when you first move in. We also document any damage on our own inspections so you may find that we have a record of this damage, please speak to your reception team for more information.

Q. Can I make repairs myself?

No, for health and safety reasons all repairs must be carried out by the property maintenance team. Please let us know about any maintenance issues by logging a maintenance request through My Account or the MyUnite app, which will allow you to log maintenance requests easily from your mobile device.

Q. What happens if something is delivered to this address after move out?

There is limited space for parcels and post the tenancy has ended it cannot be kept. All items delivered after the tenancy end date are returned to the sender.

Q. Is the landlord reference provided?


Why book Exchange Works with Unilodgers

Rooms from

£ 119 Per week