Sunderland is situated at the mouth of the River Wear and dates back to 1179 when a small fishing village was granted a charter. Over the centuries, Sunderland grew as a port, trading coal and salt and was once famously hailed as the largest shipbuilding town in the world. The banks of the River Wear, at one time covered in shipyards, is now adorned with expensive apartment blocks, the National Glass Centre, and the impressive Stadium of Light. The creation of the University of Sunderland in 1992 has helped to turn Sunderland into a young, vibrant city with a great nightlife. The city offers international students some of United Kingdom's finest higher education institutions, including the University of Sunderland, and many more. Owing to this, student accommodation in Sunderland has witnessed massive growth. Thousands of international students flock to the city to get the best of higher education. Find hundreds of student rooms from en suites, studios, shared flats for Sunderland Universities on Unilodgers.com. On Unilodgers, all student living in Sunderland comes fully furnished to the highest of standards to ensure a comfortable stay.
Get ready to have the time of your life in Sunderland, one of the most livable cities in the world! Students from around the globe come to Sunderland for its top-notch universities, cultural diversity, exciting culinary scene, bountiful job market, and so much more. Student accommodation in Sunderland is plentiful and once you decide which area to live in, you’ll have no problem finding a shared apartment, en-suite room, or studio. If you’re getting ready to book your student housing in Sunderland, Unilodgers can help!
All our Sunderland properties are located close to public transport, have amazing facilities (like gyms, Instagrammable rooftop terraces, gaming lounges, and theater rooms), and a range of apartments. Share your accommodations with roommates, enjoy the luxury of an en suite room, or live solo in a studio. Students typically enjoy finding student housing in Sunderland at places like Cassaton House, All Saints House, Dunn House, and more. Each area has unique qualities, but all offer excellent accommodation choices close to various schools. Let Unilodgers help you find, compare, and book the ideal spot for you and your friends near Sunderland’s leading universities.
6 Reasons to Book Your Student accommodation in Sunderland With Unilodgers
1. Our services are 100% free. We have absolutely zero fees, charges, or markups on your booking. Why are our services free? For each completed booking, we charge a success fee from property owners…never our student customers.
2. Personalized service is what we’re all about. Each student is assigned a student support specialist for year-round assistance from booking until checkout day. Our 24/7 student support team is always there when you need us.
3. We provide easy and instant online booking. Unilodgers’ online booking platform provides streamlined service from beginning to end. Find the best student housing in Sunderland, book, and confirm. As always, our student support specialists are there for you through it all.
4. Find the best offers guaranteed. There are no off days for Unilodgers, and we pride ourselves on securing the lowest prices and best deals every day.
5. We get student accommodation. At Unilodgers we truly understand that the student home is the place where a lifetime of memories are made. To that end, we make every effort to provide our students with only the best properties to select from. We ensure every property listed is verified strictly for the purpose of student accommodation in Sunderland. We also certify that each property offers bright and clean rooms, great social and study spaces, safe and calm surroundings, and is located close to universities.
6. A seamless and secure booking process. Once you’ve decided where you’d like to take up residence, conveniently pay directly to your property – not a third party. You never pay any additional charges or fees to Unilodgers either.
Move map to see properties
8 results found
Sunderland is a city and metropolitan borough located in the Tyne and Wear, north east of England. The city was once a small fishing village and by 1300s it became popular for salt and coal; then became one of the largest Shipbuilding towns in the world; the first iron ships were built here in the year 1852. The people of Sunderland call themselves ‘Mackem’ and the city is home to the Sunderland Association Football club.
University of Sunderland is the major University in the city that attracts a very large number of home and international students every year. The two campuses are the City campus and Sir Tom Cowie campus.
Student accommodations in Sunderland offer a diverse range of stylish, affordable shared flats and studio apartments, which are all fully equipped with modern facilities. All flats come with a private room which allows you to study efficiently and the communal lounge areas ensure you have a sociable start to University life. They are strategically located close to both University campuses and the city centre so that you can save on time and the commute.
Getting around the city on foot and cycle is a healthy option as both campuses are only a mile apart from each other and a short walking distance from the city centre. For travelling longer distances within the city and to suburbs, you can opt for the public buses or the Tyne and Wear Metro, as they are the quickest and most pocket-friendly mode of travel. You can reach the Newcastle airport in 25 minutes by Metro. For intercity travel there are excellent railway links to other major cities of UK, and a journey to Kings Cross London takes about 3.5 hours; from where you can find connecting tubes to London Heathrow and Gatwick airports.
The population of Sunderland is approximately 174,286, out of which an estimated 12, 995 are students. The city experiences mild summers with the highest average temperature of 18° in the month of August and it has chilly winters with the lowest temperatures in January & February at 7°.