Union State Leicester

33 Castle Street Leicester LE1 5WN   View Map

Liberty Court, a contemporary student accommodation located on Raw Dykes Road in Leicester. You will be not more than a minute away from the city centre and the University of Leicester is 15mins away where as you will find De Montfort University only 5mins away. Choose from a mix of en-suite rooms in shared apartments and studios. You can enjoy the great external courtyard too.


All rooms at Liberty Court student accommodation are fully furnished so that all of what you need will be available to you. All rooms have a comfortable bed, ample storage, a study station and a personal bathroom. If you decide to take a shared apartment then you will have to share the kitchen and living area with the other flatmates however you will have your own personal kitchen and dining area in a studio. The shared apartments are great for students who are looking for more social interaction. The living area is perfect to host your parties or dinners with friends. On the other hand, the studios are away from distractions and you can have space to yourself. So no more interruptions during study sessions. If the weather decides to be sunny then why not enjoy the external courtyard. Grab a cooler in summers and maybe work on that tan that you have been wanting for a while.

Living at Liberty Court Leicester you will be almost next to the city centre, which puts you right in the middle of all the action that the city witnesses. You will have an array of shops, restaurants, pub and clubs almost at your doorstep. You will find Leicester to be unique and you will have wonderful places to visit here as well. International students in Leicester can pay a visit to the National Space Centre, which is also the biggest attraction in the UK dedicated to space exploration. You will find rockets, satellites, amazing artefacts and Martian surfaces.

If you are just 5mins from the Duffy’s Bar so whenever you are looking for a good time just head here with you friends. With the good music, ambience and drinks you are guaranteed to have a good time. If you are looking for a slightly more laid back scene then why not dine with your friends at The Boot Room Restaurant & Venue.




Price Also Include

Book your room


Do I pay a deposit?

Union State does not take any deposits. The payment you will make on booking is taken off the amout of your yearly rental cost
What options are there for me to pay my rent by?

Your rent will usually be taken from the details you provided when booking your room. There are two payment options:
Pay up front in one go:

You can choose to pay your rent for the entirety of your tenancy in one payment. You can pay your rent by credit/debit card. It is also possible for payments to be made by cash or bank transfer but you will need to make arrangements with the management office.

Pay in two instalments:

Alternatively, you can choose to pay in 2 instalments. If you choose to pay this way you will need to provide a UK guarantor who is in full-time employment to support your application.

I do not live in the UK – how can I pay my rent?

If you do not live in the UK and do not have a UK guarantor, you will need to pay for your rent in full. You can arrange to do this either by credit/debit card, international cheque or bank transfer. Please be aware that if paying by cheque or bank transfer the bank will usually deduct charges from the amount you send us and you will need to pay the balance due before you can move in.

Do I need a guarantor?

All UK students can choose to pay in instalments as long as they can provide a UK guarantor. If you cannot provide a guarantor you will need to pay the full year rent upon booking your accommodation.

Can I pay my rent with my student loan?

We don’t wait for student loans to be paid to you. Payments to Union State need to be made on the due dates.
What should I do if I am having financial problems?

If you’re having financial difficulties, you should contact a member of the management immediately. Failure to do so could result in interest charges being added to your account if you fail to pay on the due date. It could also result in legal proceedings being started against you and where applicable, your guarantor. Management staff can usually advise you of where to go to get additional financial help.

What if I change my bank account or card details?

You can update your card information via the online portal – payments are not taken automatically.
Can I pay with foreign currency or travellers cheques?

Union State cannot accept foreign currency or travellers’ cheques as payment. The safest and simplest way for international students to make a payment is by Credit/Debit card or bank transfer.

How can I find out how much I owe?

Contact a member of the management team who will be able to advise you of payment amounts and dates due.
What if I don’t pay?

If you don’t pay your rent, daily interest may be added to the amount you owe us. Your guarantor will be contacted and will be asked to pay the amount that you owe. Union State will commence legal proceedings against any resident who fails to pay the rent due. These proceeding will also include action against the resident’s guarantor.

Do I need to pay council tax?

Provided you are a student in full-time education you will be exempt from council tax.

Do I have to pay any Utility bills?

Our rents are inclusive of electricity consumption up to the value of £300 per room. Statements are issued monthly and should your share of the charges incurred by the flat exceed this allowance you will be required to make additional payments for the additional electricity consumed. No charge is made for water consumption.

Is there a charge for the internet?

A 100Mb connection is provided to your room free of charge. If you need a faster connection, you should contact our internet provider.

Do I need to arrange contents insurance?

We provide basic insurance cover for each resident free of charge. Details of your cover is provided in your welcome pack on arrival. Should you wish to make an insurance claim you will need to contact the insurance company directly. You may also want to consider additional cover depending on the items you bring with you to univerisity.

What documents do I need to bring with me on arrival?

Make sure you bring your accommodation booking confirmation as well as some form of ID and any additional items you were asked for when making your booking. We’re sticklers for security so you’ll need to produce them all before your keys will be issued.

Can I move in before my tenancy starts?

Maybe, if you book in advance. Accommodation is available throughout the summer period so it is possible for you to move in early.

Is there somewhere to park when I am unpacking?

Union State has very limited parking on site. Call the hall you’re moving into and ask their advice.

What time can I arrive?

Try to arrive between 9am-5pm, when our management office is open. We also have 24-hour staff on-site, so if you arrive when the management office is closed, instructions will be posted outside telling you how to contact the member of staff on duty.

What happens on move-in day?

You will be welcomed on arrival in our management office by a member of staff. Our student mentors and representatives from the university will be there to help out too. We’ll give you a welcome pack which contains all the information you need to live at Union State.

What if I am not happy with my allocated room or my flatmate?

Should you be unhappy with either your room or the students you’re sharing with, it’s worth spending some time talking to your flatmates to try to sort things out. It is usually not possible for a room move unless a vacant one is available.

Will I be able to change rooms after I have arrived?

It is not usually possible to change rooms after you have arrived. All rooms are allocated on a 43 or 51-week contract and unless another resident also requests a room swap we would be unable to change your room.
Your First Week
Your first week at Union State will undoubtedly be the most intimidating of your entire time at Uni. (Maybe Finals exams run it a close second.)
We know what it’s like settling in somewhere new, which is why we try to make it as welcoming as possible. Here are a few tips to see you through that first week unscathed.
Freshers’ Week is busy but also a great way to make new friends and get tuned in to student life. Check out what’s happening when you arrive and pick a few events that sound interesting.
Get to know your flatmates as soon as possible. You’ll be living with them for the best part of a year so it’s important to introduce yourself from day one.
Get the unpacking done on your first day. Getting your new room set up the way you want it is a sure-fire way to banish any longings you might have for home.
Check out the Students’ Union to discover a full calendar of social events and activities

Moving Out

What do I need to do before moving out?

At the end of your tenancy you are expected to return your room and flat in the same condition you found it. If you don’t, you risk being charged in accordance with the publicised prices in reception. A final room and bedroom check will be completed at the end of the tenancy once you have moved out and you will be notified and invoiced for any damages. And don’t forget to return your laundry card to get your £5 refund.

How do I return my keys?

During office hours they should be returned to the management office. If you move out when the office is closed you should put your keys in an envelope with your name and room number clearly marked on it, and return them to the member of staff on duty.

Will I get a deposit returned to me?

Union State does not take deposits. All damages are invoiced for after your departure.

How do I report maintenance issues?

Maintenance issues should be reported to the management staff during office hours. You can also contact the caretakers for any emergencies out of office hours.

What happens once I have reported maintenance?

Your issue will be reported at reception and logged in our maintenance book and the caretaker will make the necessary repairs as soon as possible. Occasionally, it will not always be possible to complete the repair on the first visit and a subsequent visit may be necessary. Repairs are responded to on a priority basis, so please be aware that it may not be possible to attend to your problem the same day you report it, especially at busy times of the year.

How do I report emergency maintenance overnight or at weekends?

If you have a maintenance problem that needs urgent assistance when the management office is closed you should contact the member of staff on site. The caretaker will respond to your problem but it may not always be possible to complete the repair out of office hours.

Where can I do my laundry?

A laundry is provided on-site with washers and dryers. A laundry card is required which can be obtained from reception for a £5 deposit. Credit can be added to the card in multiples of £5 and £10 through a machine in reception during office hours. Each machine cycle costs £1.50.

Where do I collect my post?

Pigeon holes containing your post are located in reception. You can collect your post during office opening hours. Parcels and recorded mail will be signed for by Union State staff without liability.

Who cleans the flat?

It is your responsibility to clean your room and share cleaning duties with your flatmates for the communal areas. Management staff will conduct monthly inspections and your room and flat must be clean on these days. Failure to meet the required cleanliness standards will result in external cleaning contractors being brought in, the cost of which will be passed onto the resident(s). At the end of the tenancy the bedroom and flat must be returned in a good, clean condition to avoid incurring extra charges.

Can I smoke at Union State?

Smoking is not permitted in any area within Union State. This includes bedrooms, stairways and external courtyard areas.

Can I decorate my room?

You are responsible for ensuring that you leave your room and flat in the same condition that you found it. You will be asked to complete and return an inventory to record the condition of your room upon arrival. Marks on the walls and furniture, including those caused by blu-tac, white-tac or pins will require painting once you have left and you may be charged for this.

How do I make a complaint?

We hope that you never have any reason to be dissatisfied with the service we provide. However, if you have any issues that you would like to bring to our attention, please contact a member of staff in your management office who will endeavour to resolve the problem for you.

What cooking equipment and bedding is provided in my flat?

All flats come with a cooker, hob, microwave, toaster and kettle provided. We also supply an extensive kitchen pack which includes cutlery, crockery and pans for you to use. Bedding is not supplied so you’ll have to bring your own sheets, duvet and pillows.

Is there a telephone in my flat?

All flats have a shared direct dial telephone that can make and receive outside calls and can also be used to contact other flats in the building and the management office. To make calls outside the halls residents are provided with an individual pin. Call credit is purchased in advance and calls are charged on a pay-as-you-go basis.

Is there broadband?

A 100Mb broadband connection is provided to every room at Union State free of charge. Our provider also offers residents additional add-ons for TV, gaming and back-up storage.

Do I need to move out during the holidays?

Your tenancy contract is for a fixed length of time and you can stay at the hall throughout this entire period. That means that you don’t have to move your belongings out during the Christmas or Easter vacations. It is usually possible to book additional accommodation over the summer period, although we advise that you book early to ensure rooms are available.

Do you have staff at your halls?

All Union State halls have staff based on site to respond to the needs of our residents.
Our on-site management office is open Monday to Friday and the team is there to answer questions, respond to any issues and offer advice.
Many of our halls have caretakers who are available around the clock. They can resolve maintenance issues quickly and efficiently and ensure that the site remains a safe and secure environment for our residents. Security guards also supplement the caretaker team to ensure that most sites have a presence 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please check at your chosen Union State for further details as this service may not be available in your hall.
Our staff are not just there to upkeep the property, they want to make the experience of living at Union State to be enjoyable for all residents. Whilst the majority of students settle into university life and living away from home quickly, we understand that for some students, this can take a little longer. Our staff members have experience in dealing with a range of issues and can usually assist to help residents overcome those initial problems.

Is a TV provided?

TVs are provided in the lounges of each flat and each studio flat and offer a selection of Freeview and Sky channels.

Where can I store my bike?

An external bike storage area is located in the car park area and storage is at the owners’ risk. Bikes may not be stored within the flats.

Can I have guests to stay?

Occasional overnight guests are permitted provided your flatmates agree. All overnight guests must be signed in at reception for safety, security and so that staff know who is on site in the event of an emergency. You must accompany your guests at all times whilst they are on site and you are responsible for their behaviour.

Can visitors just walk in?

Our accommodation has gates at the entrances to ensure that only residents have access to the site. Visitors will need to contact reception or yourself to gain access. All visitors should be signed in at reception, and must be accompanied by residents at all times whilst on site.

Can I bring a pet?

No pets of any type are permitted at Union State.

Why Book Union State Leicester With Unilodgers

100% Free Service

Absolutely no fees, charges, or marked up prices

Personalised Service

A dedicated booking manager for every student to offer year round support from booking till check out

Instant Booking

Easy & instant online booking, quick confirmation and customer support

Best Offer Guaranteed

Lowest prices and best deals guaranteed, always!

Verified Properties

Every property verified to ensure only student properties are listed

Secure Booking

Secure booking process with all payments made directly to the property